Cotton is a natural fiber widely used in the manufacture of clothing due to its characteristics and properties. But what can we do to make its useful life longer? We give you some advice for the care of your cotton garments.
Main properties of cotton
To know how to care for our cotton garments, we must take into account its main characteristics. These are the softness of the fiber, its durability and resistance, and that there are garments made with this material, which can absorb moisture from our body and regulate its temperature.
Tips for washing cotton
To extend the life of the cotton, we will first take into account the steps to follow before using the washing machine:
- Separate white cotton garments from colored ones.
- Do a prewash if there are significant stains in sight, this will prevent the stain from gaining ground and you will save time in the wash.
- Regarding the use of the washing machine, we must take into account: Use mild or neutral detergents. If the detergent is very aggressive, cotton garments lose their color with each wash.
- Although cotton can be washed in hot or cold water, it is recommended that garments be washed in cold water. Excess temperature can fade the garment and shrink it.
- Use gentle wash cycles (delicate) when there is not much dirt on the clothes. Excessive washing of cotton can weaken the fibers and leave them weak.
Regarding drying cotton garments:
It is preferable not to use the dryer, since if it is not used with a low temperature it causes the shrinkage of the garment. Therefore, better to avoid it. The ideal place to hang cotton clothes is one that is cool and does not receive direct sunlight. The sun eventually weakens the fibers and therefore damages them.